We need a comprehensive review and overhaul of our electoral law, to make it future-proofed for the digital age.
- We need to extend ‘imprints’ – where leaflets must show who produced them and on whose behalf – to online political advertising.
- Campaigners should report social media spend separately, in a digital format, in real time during a campaign.
- Create a single online database of political adverts
- The Electoral Commission’s paltry £20,000 maximum fine for rule-breaking should be uncapped.
- We must establish a statutory code of practice for political parties and campaigners without delay.
Transparency must be the rule, not the exception. The government need to act now.